Banana Nutella muffins seem to be something of a celebrity in the food blogging world. They’ve done the rounds from The Londoner to fellow food blogging friend The Bun Fight, all with great looking results. Curiosity finally got the better of me so I thought I’d try them out myself! I chose Father’s day as the occasion because I wanted to make my dear old dad something personal, also one of my favourite stories from him as a child was how he used to call Nutella ‘Yodel’. How cute?
Banana Nutella Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 230g self-raising flour
- 150g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 110g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 180C. Mix the eggs, vanilla, butter and bananas together. In a separate bowl mix the flour, sugar & salt. Add this to the wet ingredients and fold. An important step it seems is so make sure your mixture is still lumpy, I didn’t mash my bananas too much so there were still little chunks here and there.
The mix is super thick and fluffy, plonk it into silicon moulds or cupcake cases. Here comes the fun part! spoon a little dollop of Nutella into the centre of the mixture and using a chopstick/cocktail stick/skewer, swirl it around! Not too much or they’ll be chocolate all over: you want that marble effect.
Into the oven they go for 20-25 mins. When you open the door to take them out the smell is going to blow. Your. Mind.
The muffins have this wonderfully crunchy topping, especially where the cracks of Nutella show. Underneath they’re light and moist.
The ones with the really thick swirls work the best; you get an incredible contrast between intense banana flavour and rich gooey chocolate.
These muffins are just ridiculously good. Such a simple idea but so impressive! Eat them warm for those streaks of melted nutella… heaven! If you’d like to check out a healthier muffin recipe, have a look at my Power Muffins!
Banana Nutella Muffins
- Muffin tin
- Mixing bowls
- 230 grams self-raising flour
- 150 grams sugar
- 110 grams butter (unsalted)
- 6 tsp nutella
- 3 bananas (mashed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C (360F).
- Add eggs, vanilla, butter and mashed bananas to a mixing bowl and combine.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a different mixing bowl.
- Add flour mixture to the wet mixture, and gently fold in. Mixture should be fully combined but still lumpy.
- Pour mixture in to greased muffin tin (or cupcake cases).
- Drop a teaspoon of nutella in to the centre of each muffin mixture, and gently swirl with a chopstick or skewer (or anything thin).
- Don't overmix as you want to see the nutella swirled, rather than fully-combined.
- Put muffins in over for 20 to 25 minutes until fully cooked.